Global Change Research Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences (CzechGlobe) aims to better understand the impact of global change on the atmosphere, biosphere and societal processes – the causes, impacts, adaptation and mitigation through the state-of-the-art instrumentation, techniques, co-creation approach and transfer of knowledge.
Competences and capabilities
We use various Earth observation data for assessment of spatio-temporal changes of natural and man-managed ecosystems. Combination of in-situ, airborne (in house Flying Laboratory of Imaging Systems) and satellite (e.g. Copernicus services) observations help us to develop scaling schemes and methods for quantitative assessment of biochemical and structural properties of plants, estimates of plant biomass and carbon stocks, crop yields, evapotranspiration, soil moisture, drought stress, as well for analysis of urban thermal regime.
Products / Services
- windy.com (drought intensity and soil moisture)
Major Space Projects & References
CzechGlobe researchers have participated in following ESA funded projects:
- Black Sea and Danube regional initiative project DryPan aiming to improve seasonal forecast of drought and its impacts on crop yields using EO data.
- HyPlant Processing Experiment for development and testing of a processing chain for data from the airborne fluorescence demonstrator HyPlant.
- Hyperspectral analysis and heterogeneous surface modelling.
- Red edge positioning techniques for Earth observation optical missions that analysed the red-edge spectral region in Sentinel-2 data.
Since 2018 the CzechGlobe’s airborne facility has been regularly involved in international campaigns supporting the future ESA Earth Explorer mission FLEX (Fluorescence Explorer).
Space Related Equipment, Labs & Certificates
- Aircraft Cessna 208B Grand Caravan
- Airborne hyperspectral sensors (CASI, TASI, SASI)
- Certification for HyPlant, a high-performance imaging spectroradiometer for vegetation fluorescence mapping
- Airborne and terrestrial laser scanners
- Laboratory and field spectroscopy equipment
- Laboratory and field instruments for measurements of plant ecophysiological properties and processes
- CzeCos research infrastructure (http://www.czecos.cz/)